GCO member Ben Garner tackled Woodstock’s ban on the carry of firearms, section 58-32, which prohibits the carry of loaded firearms by all but law enforcement. Mr. Garner contacted the city, which has agreed its ban is preempted by state law. Here is the follow-up email Mr. Garner sent to Woodstock’s city manager, following his agreement (along with the Chief of Police) to cease enforcing the ban and look at repealing it from the city code:
From: Ben Garner Date: May 18, 2007 7:55 AM
Subject: Thanks Again RE:ordinance
I wanted to thank you again for your attention to the matter of Woodstock’s preempted firearms ordinance. I did sign up for the Email updates on the city council meeting agendas and minutes.
I’m a member of a grassroots gun rights organization called GeorgiaCarry.Org that is dedicated to protecting the rights of all Georgians. You can find our web site at: http://www.GeorgiaCarry.Org There you will see that several other counties and municipalities have been much less willing to work on getting their codes and ordinances up to speed with regard to state law. We are also working to streamline the Georgia Firearms License application processes in the various county probate courts and to clarify, liberalize and simplify Georgia’s convoluted firearms laws.
There is also a sister site at: http://www.GeorgiaPacking.Org There you can find a wealth of information, such as:
- An up to date list of pro- and anti-gun Bills in the Georgia General Assembly
- House and Senate Report cards based on gun related bills they sponsored and voted on
- Georgia Gun Laws in plain English, including the new “Stand Your Ground” law
- Weapons-related sections of the state code
- Case law analysis for the last 160 years
- Probate Court contact information for all 159 Georgia Counties with a growing list of the actual firearm license processes for each county
- Places Not Off Limits to firearms and Places Off Limits to firearms
- A Firearm Discussion forum to talk about News, Guns, Bills, Laws, Concealed Carry, and the Georgia Firearms License.
It was actually in the discussion forum that I found out about Woodstock’s ordinance. You can read the discussion here (my screen name is “mzmtg”):
I hope you will take a little time to check out our sites and information.
Mr. Garner’s success is yet one more example of grass roots activism at its finest! Polite but active members are liberty’s best defense in this state.